Eggplant, Simple & Easy

>Date: 25 Nov 1997 10:01:48 -0800
>From: "Zoe Sodja" <zoe_sodja@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Eggplant
>
>Someone was requesting a plain and simple way to use eggplant. I love eggplant
>and lately I've just been broiling it - slicing it and putting it under the
>broiler, turning it over and browning the other side too. I also roast some

YES! I cut the big eggplant into slices lengthwise and do the following, but
for something even more tasty, and still very simple, try using the small
Japanese eggplant, slicing them in half lengthwise. Place under broiler cut
side down for a couple of minutes. Pull them out, turn them over and spoon
some el-cheapo marinara sauce over them. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning,
then sprinkle FF mozzarella cheese over them and place back under the
broiler until the cheese is melted! Small zucchini work well this way too!

I normally do this on the grill and it works great. You have to be careful
when serving, as the sauce and cheese slides off very easily. I normally
grab them on the side with tongs to serve.

I've been using Del Monte (TM) "D'Italia Marinara Sauce", which comes in a
26-oz can for less than a dollar, and although the label says 1.5 gm fat per
serving, it also says there are only 6 servings per can, and I can assure
you can't get 1/6 of the sauce onto the top of a small zuke or eggplant.
Probably closer to 20 servings in this way.

Glen Hosey, Fairfax, VA, USA
My MealMaster & MasterCook Recipe Buster programs are at:
http://www.erols.com/hosey