Soups

Hi everyone -

I too like to cook a lot on weekends so I don't have to come home from work
and eat. Last week one of the other women in my office brought in a Mcdougall
cup of soup and gave it to me and it was very delicious but expensive - it was
tortilla soup. So I decided to create my own. I cooked up a bunch of
vegetables - potatoes, onions, garlic, frozen green beans, frozen cauliflower,
frozen strips of bell peppers. When they were done I added stewed tomatoes and
some black beans, plus some Mexican-type spices - chili powder and cumin with
a bit of basil and oregano. Then I cut up corn tortillas. And my family loved
it. I made quite a lot so we'll be eating it for quite a few days.

Another soup I made recently that is my own creation is curried potato and
broccoli soup. Cook up some potatoes and onions, add frozen broccoli. When
they're all done, add curry powder to taste. If you want to thicken it, you
can use instant mashed potatoes or mash up some of the potatoes in the soup.
It's a family favorite too.

Zoe Sodja
Santa Cruz