a great bread and poached pears

Allow me to introduce you to Jane Brody's Spicy Poached Pears, an all
time favorite around our house especially with my 10 year old son.

Spicy Poached Pears

4 ripe pears, peeled, halved lengthwise, and cored
2 cups cranberry juice
2 TBS sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp grated orange rind (try to use organic)
1/2 tsp grated lemon rind (try to use organic)

Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan.  Bring the liquid to a boil,
reduce the heat, cover the pan, and simmer the pears for about 15
minutes or until they are just tender.  Serve the pears warm, at room
temperature, or chilled.

This is a surprisingly elegant looking dessert, smells divine and tastes
wonderful. A snap to prepare too.

My current favorite bread machine recipe is for Brother Juniper's Struan
Bread from a fabulous book called Rustic European Breads for Your Bread
Machine by Linda Eckhardt.  Look for this one in your local library. I
don't own the book and my library's copy is out so all I can give you
are the measurements for a 2 lb loaf.  This bread keeps moist just like
a bread with fat because of a secret ingredient-cooked brown rice.  That
is also the one drawback with this recipe in that you have to have
cooked brown rice on hand.  I use short grain brown rice and cook it up
while I am preparing breakfasts.  Short grain cooks up quickly.

Brother Juniper's Struan Bread

1 cup plus 2 TBS water
1/2 cup buttermilk (could use soy milk with some lemon juice for vegan)
3 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup polenta (corn meal)
1/4 cup oats
1/4 cup wheat bran
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup cooked brown rice (the fresher the better)
2 tsp salt
2 TBS honey (could substitute more sugar and extra water to make it
vegan)
2 1/2 tsp yeast

I use my regular white bread setting.  A wonderful and nutritious bread!

Enjoy!

-Enid