RE: Oil-less Bread

Marie Finch asked how to make oil-less bread less crusty.

Bread recipes with milk usually result in a softer crust. I don't know how
substituting soy milk for cow's would work, however.

Another way to purposely make bread crusty is to bake it in a moist
environment. This includes using a baking stone or brick in the oven,
misting the bread with water periodically as it bakes and putting a pan of
hot water at the bottom of the oven to steam during baking.  If you are
like me, you don't like to use your oven for just *one* thing. I usually
have some combination of breat, potatoes,  a casserole and a sweet thing
for dessert baking all at once. If your bread shares the oven with these
moister creations, they could be adding enough steam to make your bread
crustier.

Elsa Kapitan-White <kapitan-white@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Schlumberger Oilfield Marketing Services
225 Schlumberger Drive, Sugar Land, TX 77478
(281)285-7563, fax -8545