yogurt

I finally got around to trying to make yogurt at home, after
reading the many suggested methods posted on the list awhile
back.  It has come out ok twice and failed twice, so I still
need practice.  My question is: If I forget to put the yogurt
in the fridge after 3 or 4 hours, and instead leave it in the
cold oven all night, is it going to kill me?  Will the
friendly bacteria ("goodteria" versus "badteria" according
to my 4.5-yr-old) turn ugly without refrigeration?

Thanks
Maggie