phyllo/filo

Kellie had a question about phyllo and the fat content, since she's
making some for Easter.
Like the others who already answered, I use a cooking spray instead of
butter between the sheets (or every other sheet).  This definitely
reduces the fat, but cooking sprays aren't fatfree.
Let's see--1 sec spray is about 1 gram of fat, so over the whole dish
you're probably adding about 10 to 15 grams of fat, which isn't bad,
depending on the serving size.

The other thing to remember about filo is to let it thaw completely
(which takes several hours) before using it.  I made strudel last week,
and forgot to thaw it, making my task much more difficult because it kept
cracking into tiny pieces.  I've also heard that once you thaw the
phyllo, you shouldn't refreeze it, so you should use up that whole box at
once.  If your spanakopita isn't going to use it all, you could make
strudel or something with the remaining dough.

Speaking of Easter, someone asked last week for suggestions, but there
weren't many.  What are people making for dinner, if they celebrate
Easter?  It seems difficult to come up with a satisfying, main-course
veggie dish that is springy rather than wintry.  Any suggestions?

Susan Lehman
UNC-Chapel Hill
Go TarHeels!!!!!