Re: FATFREE Digest V97 #30

>I bought a package of dried, large lima beans and now I don't know what to
>
>do with them.  Does anyone have any suggestions, including how to cook
>
>them.  Thanks for the help!

Here's my favorite:

Limas and corn (not quite succotash)

Into the crock pot, 1 pound dry limas, picked through
1 onion, chopped
4 - 6 ribs celery, sliced
2 quarts water

turn on low and go to work.

Come back home, check the beans, sniff and sigh, yum,  add one pound
package frozen sweet corn, salt to taste.  Heat through and serve.

If you don't want to do the crock pot, then just pour boiling water over
the beans, let stand for one hour, drain and put into large pot with 1
quart water, add the onion and celery, simmer til tender (1.5 hour or so),
add corn and salt.
Watch carefully and add water as needed.

Optional,  ad 1/3 to 1/2 cup pearl barley with the beans.

Jan Gordon <jrg14@xxxxxxxxxxx>
I don't know the key to success,
But the key to failure is
Trying to please everybody.  --Bill Cosby