Bitterness in curry

Hi all -

When making curried vegetables: I find that if I don't saute the spices, the
dish is bitter to my taste. Evidently not everyone experiences this - my
husband can taste the identical dish & thinks it's great. Maybe it's genetic.
Anyway so I tried sauteeing the spices in water and they were still bitter -
didn't seem to work. I'm so disapopinted. Maybe I'm going to have to use a
very tiny amount of o*l? A tiny amount so it's still under 10% fat? Any other
suggestions?

Zoe Sodja
Santa Cruz