RECIPE: Minestrone

Here's a hearty minestrone soup I made.  Slightly modified from the
one in Gabe Mirkin's book _Fat Free, Flavor Full_  This makes a huge
amount.  I froze the remainder in 1 pt containers and have been taking
it to work for lunch.

Primo Minestrone

2 onions, chopped
5 garlic cloves, minced
3 celery stalks, minced
1 green pepper, chopped
6 cups bouillon (I used 1 T vegetable
                 Better than Bouillon in 6 cups water)
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes (I like Progresso)
1/2 cup dry red wine
1 T fresh oregano
1 T fresh thyme
1/2 t red pepper flakes
1/2 small head of cabbage, shredded
4 carrots, chopped
2 potatoes, peeled and diced
2 cans white beans, drained and rinsed
2 small zucchini, sliced
1 cup gnocchi pasta or 1/2 cup small pasta (e.g rotini)
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
fresh ground black pepper

Bring onion, garlic, celery, green pepper and 1/2 cup of the bouillon
to a boil in a very large pot.  Simmer about 10 minutes, or until the
vegetables are softened.  Add the remaining bouillon, tomatoes, wine,
spices, cabbage, carrots and potatoes, and simmer 20 minutes.  Add the
beans, zucchini, pasta, and basil; cook an additional 8 to 10 minutes
or until the pasta is tender.  Serve with ground black pepper to
taste.

6 to 8 large servings.  Freezes well.

Michelle