Iron levels

I have been lurking for a few months and I would like to know which foods
to eat in order to increase my iron levels.  Apparently I have very low
levels and my uptake level is also low.  I always take vitamin C with my
green veggies and I eat lots of tofu.  I am allergic to wheat, dairy and
yeast, and do not eat sugar in any form or processed foods.  This means
that I don't eat any fortified foods or simple carbohydrates.

My Doctor tells me that I should eat a lot of absorbable haem rich food -
namely liver.

Does anyone else have low iron levels?

I appreciate any help :)

Deb