Cool Whip and more

Hello, my name is Suzanne.  I was on the list before, but I haven't been very vocal since it
came back.  I'll try to do better in the future (smile).

For Linnie, who asked about Cool Whip:
Isn't that stuff great?  I love it, but I too looked at the label a few months ago and saw that
it contained some scary ingredients.  It's probably one of those products that has 0.4 grams of
fat per serving, so they can tout it as fatfree.  I'm sure that I eat more than a serving at a
time, so it's even worse.  Anyway, now I only buy the stuff for a treat.  It's certainly better
than regular, but I don't consider it safely fatfree.

Now here's something I just discovered:
It's a bag of frozen beans and rice that my mom picked up for me.  The brand is Hanover, but
there may be others.  The one she got had a "chicken flavored sauce packet" included (she
tries, but isn't as good at noticing the fine print as we have to be), so I just threw that out
before it even had the chance to thaw.  The ingredients list for the sauce packet is separate,
and the only things left after you throw that away are cooked white rice, cooked black beans,
onions, red peppers, green peppers.  The nutrition facts list 0.5 g of fat, 5 mg of cholesterol,
and 730 mg of sodium, so I assume the sauce must be included in the analysis.  With such a short
list of ingredients, though, I can't imagine the real analysis sans sauce would be
objectionable.  Anyway, I put some of this stuff frozen in a small tupperware with some salsa
and leave it in the fridge at work, where it thaws through the morning.  At lunch, I just pop it
in the microwave for a minute, stir it up and I have a nice Mexican beans-n-rice.  Quick and
easy.  Next time, though, I'm going to look for a package without the sauce packet, just to
avoid the waste of throwing it out.  Anyway, it's nothing gourmet, but it makes a nice lunch
with a piece of fruit for desert.

My last item (a request):
I've heard alot about Dixie Diners products, but now that I'm ready to try them, I can't track
down the info in past digests.  Does anyone have a number for them?  Do they send out a free
catalog?  What about a web site?  I know these things have been on the list before, so you
could e-mail me directly to avoid repetition.  Thanks in advance!

Sorry for the length.  I hope everyone is enjoying spring - lots of fresh goodies!

Thank you to everyone who contributes to the list -- it gives me a great sense of community
since I'm the only vegetarian I know.

Yours, Suzanne