Kids Eating Vegies

When reading the posting that contains the following,

>When my 20 year old was about 2 I got her to eat veggies by appealing
>to her mischievous personality.

I was reminded of how I got my son, now 13, to eat veggies when he was
little and not sure he was going to like them.  I used to tell him that the
veggies were "just for decoration" or "just for grownups" and he couldn't
resist them.  Also, I used to call broccoli spears "trees" and tell him that
cauliflower was "brains."  He'd say, "Ew, gross!" and wolf them down with a
twinkle in his eye while I pretended to be horrified.  Of course, that
opened the door to all sorts of imaginative thinking and labelling of foods.
We called shelled sunflower seeds "ticks" and well, you can use your
imagination about raisins...  But we had a lot of fun.  And people in the
supermarkets couldn't believe it when I shopped with a child in my cart who
had green around his mouth from sampling the broccoli florets before we
checked out!  Thanks for the memories.  :-)

Jane

     Jane Smith
     mjsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
     Special Collections, Pickler Memorial Library
     Truman State University (formerly NMSU)
     Kirksville, Missouri  USA