Becoming vegan

Hello, all!

I've been vegetarian (no animal/fish flesh) for about 3 years now, and
I've played around with veganism for the past 2 years with little real
success.  A couple of months ago I made a serious and concerted effort to
work all dairy products out of my life (even when it's "whey" as the last
listed ingredient in a product -- no easy task, I must say!).  I would
like to make the final big jump and work eggs out of my diet, too, but
I'm not sure how to go about it.  As it is it's very difficult for me to
eat out with friends (my late-nite diner-food staple has gone from a
delicious veggie burger that contained cheese to egg salad), and the only
thing I'm pretty sure is vegan and readily available is pasta.  Then
there are the questions like "how do I eat with my SAD extended family at
holidays?" and "how do I know if there are dairy/egg products in what I
eat when there is no ingredient list available to read?"  What do
some of you who have gone through this type of transition suggest as the
best way to move from vegetarianism to veganism?  Any and all advice
would be appreciated, and please feel free to respond privately if you
don't want to clutter up the list with this.

Thanks to all for putting up with this long post!

Linda in *HOT HOT HOT* NYC