Lentil Sauce, Vegetables and Rice

I made this tonight and there is -barely- enough for one person to take for
lunch tomorrow, it was delicious.  I was out of brown lentils so I used Chana
Dal (golden lentils), didn't have an onion so skipped it (but had scallions),
and just used minced garlic from a jar, so I guess it was ultra low-fat,
because I didn't saute anything.  Don't skip the fresh cilantro and lemon
juice, it gives it a lot of oomph.

This is from Susan Powter's "Food" book.

1.5 cups brown lentils, washed and picked over
1 qt water
1 bay leaf
3 stalks celery, sliced
2 medium carrots, sliced
1 bunch scallions, sliced
2.5 cups canned crushed tomatoes
.5 lb zucchini, cut in half and then sliced
1 tsp ground coriander
1.5 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1.5 tsp salt or to taste
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
1 lg onion sliced
4 lg cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 lemon, juiced
2 cups brown rice, cooked

1.	Cook the lentils for 20 minutes with water and bay leaf until just tender.
 Remove bay leaf.
2.	Add celery, carrots, scallions, tomatoes, zucchini, spices, salt and
pepper.  Cook for 15 minutes or less, until vegetables are crisp-tender.
3.	Heat oil in frying pan and saute onion and garlic until golden (I skipped
this part, didn't seem to hurt it at all).  Mix into the cooked lentils.
4.	Add the cilantro and lemon juice.  Serve over hot cooked brown rice.