Pregnancy Update/Mexican Rice

I can't tell you how I missed this list! Glad to see it's back, and some
familiar names with it. Before we all went on hiatus, some of you may
remember I was home on bed rest with pregnancy complications for about
five months. Many of you helped out with suggestions for quick recipes
and general support.

I'm happy to say that my daughter Meredith Lee was born on January 14 -
she's healthy and perfect, product of a lowfat vegetarian pregnancy. I
can't tell you how relieved I was after having to fend off all the
well-meant questions about whether my problems were related to a
vegetarian diet (not).

I couldn't have done it without the Taco Lentils recipe. This is in the
archives, and I encourage you to check it out. Every few months I would
make a batch and then make about 24 burritos from the lentils and mexican
rice, roll them in foil and freeze them. They make great quick meals, and
are a complete protein with the rice. Here's my recipe for Mexican Rice:

Mexican Rice

1 cup rice
2 cups water or vegetable broth
1/4 cup salsa

Lightly toast the rice in a dry pan.
Add the salsa and stir until most of the liquid is absorbed.
Add the water or broth, cover and cook on low until all the liquid is
absorbed and the rice is fluffy (about a half hour or so).

Enjoy!

Julie in San Jose