snacks and artichoke hearts

Dawn G. was looking for some ff snack ideas.  Two things I frequently
snack on are pretzels and frosted mini-wheats.  Both will leave crumbs on
your clothes however.  There's a recipe in the archive for Grape-nut bars
(reposted last week) which are supposed to be very good for traveling.
There's also a great oatmeal-raisin (though you could leave out the
raisins) cookie recipe in the archives, and the poster talks about how
she puts the cookies on her dashboard to warm them up on her drive home.

If you're looking for a more hearty snack/meal, more preparation is
required.  I sometimes make my own veggie pockets--basically bread dough
wrapped around some sort of filling.  (Like a calzone, but with a
variety of fillings--pinto beans, curry, etc.  I get my ideas from Ken
and Robert's Veggie Pockets).  I freeze them, and reheat when I'm
desperate.  You can nuke them and eat them in the car.

Also, regarding artichoke hearts and oil--the artichoke hearts I've seen
that are in metal cans are generally packed in water.  The ones canned in
glass jars are usually in oil.  I don't remember my brand, but you might try
looking around the shelf a little more.  I've also seen frozen artichoke
hearts in our freezer section.  Unfortunately, they're expensive no
matter how they're packaged.

Susan Lehman
UNC-Chapel Hill