Which miso?

The many varieties and brands of miso seem to shut down my decision-making
apparatus every time I start to buy some. The Book of Miso by Shurtleff and
Aoyagi suggests red, barley, or Hatcho in many of their recipes, and mellow
white or sweet white in some.  Does anyone have favorite varieties or brands
to use for soup? for salad dressings? for seasoning steamed vegetables?

Wishing everyone the healthiest year ever,

Bette