Rutabagas/Yogurt-Not

Hi, all. I'm catching up on back digests and saw a recent interest in
rutabagas. I found a great recipe in the January/97 issue of Vegetarian
Times (page 49).

BAKED CARROTS, TURNIPS, AND RUTABAGAS

Note: Roots get sweeter when they're cooked slowly.

2 large carrots, quartered (I sliced them.)
1 medium turnip, quartered
1 medium rutabaga, quartered
1/4 cup dry sherry or veggie broth (I used the broth.)
1 Tbsp. apple juice concentrate
1 Tbsp. honey or brown sugar
1 tsp. grated lemon rind

Preheat oven to 350. PAM a 2 qt. casserole dish (if necessary). Arrange
veggies in dish. In small bowl combine sherry or broth, apple juice
concentrate, honey or brown sugar, and lemon rind. Drizzle over root
veggies. Cover with aluminum foil and bake till tender, about 40-50 minutes.
Makes 4 servings (80 cal. each).

I also found a real winner at Dixie Diners Club, a new product called
Vanilla Yogurt(Not). It comes in a 20 serving size or a single serving
sample. It's a dry mix that's dairy free with bioactive yogurt cultures and
no refined sugars (contains fructose). Just mix it with cold water and stir
till thickened. I got several of the single serving packets because I was
going on vacation. It was so convenient and I LOVED the vanilla flavor. You
can also make milk by adding more water but I haven't tried this. (Per
serving: 140 cal, <1 gm fat, no cholesterol, 1 mg sodium, 3 gm protein, 140
mg calcium, 32 gm carbs, 2 gm fiber, and 27 mg isoflavones)
(1-800-233-3668)

Happy Holidays, Carla