Re: Grilled Tofu

On Wed, 6 Aug 1997, Judy Mingram - SunSoft wrote:

> I have found a way to do grilled tofu that really works for me.  I buy
> the lowfat EXTRA FIRM tofu at my HFS (brand name "Organic", HFS is
> If you can't find the extra firm, you can use the firm, but it will not
> hold up on the grill.

One thing to try is pressing the tofu before grilling--my aunt does this
and it works well.  I think she only does it with water-packed tofu
though, which is higher fat than the boxed silken tofu.  I don't know how
silken tofu would work, but I'll try it next time.
To press tofu:
Slice tofu into slices about 1/2 inch thick.  Arrange them on a clean
dish towel and place another towel over them.  Put a cutting board or
cookie sheet on top of this and some heavy weights on top of the board
(like a pot or milk jugs filled with water).  Let it sit for about an
hour.

After pressing, my aunt marinates the slices in a mixture of tamari,
lemon juice, garlic, and some spicy ketchup she gets at the HFS. Very
good.

Susan Lehman