Re: Egg substitute vs. Egg Whiites

On Wed, 27 Aug 1997, Beverly Kurtin wrote:

> Hate to say this, folks, but people who are concerned about egg whites
> because of the supposed samonella problem...
>
> Take a look at the ingredients.  What does it say?  EGG WHITES!
...>
> That's okay if you're ovo or ovo/lacto, but egg substitutes...Ener-G Egg
> Replacer.

I do generally use Ener-G egg replacer, but I did want to point out that
most liquid egg subs (like Egg Beaters) are pasteurized so that
salmonella is no longer an issue.
So, while people who eat eggs can save money by just buying regular eggs
and tossing the yolks, for a raw egg situation (like the caesar salad
dressing or egg nog), the pasteurized product is probably a good idea.

Susan Lehman
UNC-Chapel Hill