Beet recipes

At 10:51 AM 8/26/97 -0400, Jan Gordon wrote:
>I came home from the Farmer's Market Saturday with 2 bunches of beets, and
>I turned to my copy of _Vegetarian Soup Cuisine_ by Jay Solomon (a fave of
>mine!) and found an interesting soup that I loved!

Jan, et al;
        I was given a frightening amount of fresh-picked (fresh-dug?) beets
by a friend, and have no idea whatsoever what to do with them.  Any ideas?
I've never had beets, bar the pickled 'Bicks' variety in the jar (which I
adore, but have stopped buying because they're loaded with sugar).
        Is it true that you can't peel them before cooking, as they 'bleed
to death'?

Thanks in advance,
Jacqueline