beet soup/vegan

I came home from the Farmer's Market Saturday with 2 bunches of beets, and
I turned to my copy of _Vegetarian Soup Cuisine_ by Jay Solomon (a fave of
mine!) and found an interesting soup that I loved!

I don't have the book with me, but it is something like this (with my
fatfree adaptations):

2 cups onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
"sauteed" in 1/4 cup red wine

add -

3 cups raw beets, scrubbed and chopped (I didn't peel them)
2 cups white potatoes, peeled and chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

simmer 45 minutes or so, until all is tender.

add -
1/4 cup minced dill, watercress, or parsley (I used part dill and part parsley)

let cool slightly, put a portion at a time in the food processor or blender
and process until smooth.  (be careful, you will have a huge red mess
otherwise)

Pour back into soup pot and heat gently, serve hot.  Garnish with a sprig
of dill or parsley.

(optional - add a dollop of ff yogurt or sour cream on each bowl)

Now - we liked this but found it a bit bland, so I added another 1/2
teaspoon salt and a couple tablespoons prepared horseradish, and voila,
suberp soup.

Jay Soloman has several vegetarian cookbooks, not fatfree but easy to
adapt.  I love his Lean Bean Cuisine.

Jan Gordon  <jrg14@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cornell University
College of Agriculture & Life Sciences
Office for Research, Ag. Experiment Station
(607) 255-2552 Fax: 255-9499