Storing those fruits and veggies

one of us asked:  What solutions have people found for storing and keeping
>really fresh alarge quantity of fruits/veggies?  Are the certain kinds of
>refrigerators
>that are better than others?

I hate to say this, (because I **hate** those parties) but one of the very
best things I have found to store stuff in in the frig is
Tupperware...there is a celery container and another for lettuce and they
both do an excellent job making these veggies last.  I have used the celery
container for other stuff, onions, green beans, eggplant, peppers come
immediately to mind.  I also use thos ziploc veggie bags and they help a
lot.   I also use some rubbermaid containers which I line with my brown
paper bags from the market (I donl;t purchase paper towels as I resent
spending money on something just to throw it away)  and they help
considerably.  I don;t care for cold fruit, I prefer it at room temp, so my
tomatos and oranges and things stay on the counter and I am motivated to
eat them up.

I can only get organically grown produce once a week at the la Mesa
Farmer's market so I have to find some way to keep it around.

One of us was asking for a source of the little packages of salad
dressing....I have no idea where to purchase them, but I was wondering if
it would be possible to use some baby food jars, pimemto jars, caper jars
or whatever instead.  That way you could make your own and in additon to
controlling the fat, you would be avoiding the preservatives in the
prepared stuff.  Just a thought.

Gloriamarie     gma@xxxxxxxx
In La Mesa, CA, 1 town east of San Diego where, hallelujah, we once againn
have ...sigh...perfect weather and a lovely breeze and not so darned hot!!