Stuffed Squash/Courgette/Zucchini

OK, this is definitely the last for today...

*Stuffed Zucchini/Courgette/Squash*

Kristin wrote in digest 172 about stuffed squash, and posted a recipe
(repeated below for anyone who missed it). It involved stuffing
courgettes (zucchini) with sweetcorn (corn) and optional cheese and
grilling them. I do something similar, except I've always just baked
them - will have to try this new method as I think it will be nicer.

A variation on Kristin's recipe might be to puree some of the
sweetcorn in the blender with a bit of onion before stuffing the
courgette. This is what I usually do - it makes it lovely and creamy.
I think you can also buy ready-pureed sweetcorn in cans? And try
adding some nutritional yeast as well if you miss cheese (I have never
put cheese in this recipe).

To use up the stuff that you scrape out of the centre of the
courgette, put it in a soup or even in a bread. Or saute it with some
other vegetables (carrots, mushrooms) and puree with some tofu, a few
breadcrumbs and flavourings (nutritional yeast, herbs, broth powder,
tomato ketchup, black pepper, celery salt etc) to make a pate.

OK, this is me for now - here's Kristin.

****************** Start of quote ****************************

GRILLED ZUCCHINI STUFFED WITH CORN
3 medium zucchini
vegetable oil spray (optional)
2/3 c. canned corn with red and green peppers, drained
1/3 c. shredded fat-free cheese (optional)

Cut zucchini lengthwise in half.  Scoop center from zucchini; discard.
Spray outside of zucchini lightly with oil, if desired (fat free Italian
dressing can also be used, I've also had success making it without
either, but putting the zucchini on foil on the grill instead of
directly on the grill).  Mix corn and cheese (if using); spoon
into zucchini shells.  Cover and grill zucchini, cut sides up, 4-6 inches from
medium coals 10-12 minutes or until zucchini is crisp-tender and stuffing
is hot.
6 servings.

I have never made this using cheese, but the original recipe calls for it
so I included it here.

Kate

--
/*  I'm still 22, but I'm getting used to it.
    http://users.ox.ac.uk/~corp0141/index.html  */