(no subject)

To all of you out there in "fat-free" land:

I have only been a subscriber to this fat-free update about a week now,
and I have been pleasantly and unpleasantly suprised.

I have been a vegetarian for about four years.  I learned from the
beginning that preaching to people DOESN'T WORK.  I have also learned
after fighting time and time again that you're being flexible makes all
the difference in the world.

Here's why:

When I became a vegetarian, I went gung ho on everyone!  I decided that
since I made a decision to become a vegetarian that everyone else should
too.  I constantly fought with my boyfriend and friends.  And to be
perfectly honest, I was miserable.  Now I don't make any comments.  And
you know what, what you're mother has always told you is true, silence
does speak louder than words.  Now people approach me and say that they
haven't had meat all day or that they tried a veggie burgur, or
whatever, but that means that they have been listening to my silence.
Before, when I would argue, people would automatically get on the
defensive and nothing was accomplished.  I have also learned not to be
so strick with myself.  I used to go to restaurants and get all uptight
about what might be in my food, so much so that I would feel sick to my
stomach.  What do you think is better?  Getting so worked up about it
and making yourself sick, or just sitting back and relaxing and enjoying
you meal knowing that you don't do this very often and a few extra grams
of fat is not going to kill you (unless you have a already existing
problem). Keep in mind that you have a harder time digesting food if you
are all worked up.    Peace of mind is so very important.

On the flip side, the recipes look great ( I haven't tried on yet but
I'm going to try the San Francisco Black Bean & Corn Stew this week)

Take care and try to relax.

Angi