Re: WANTED: Bread recipes....

On Sat, 16 Aug 1997, Monica L. Tittle wrote:

> Here is my absolute favorite bread recipe.  The most complicated thing about
> it is getting the water the right temp and all you need for that is a candy
> thermomator.
>.....part of recipe deleted

> 2-4 T oil (optional, I often don't use it at all)

I don't use a thermometer for the water--you should just make sure it's
approximately body temperature.  If it's hotter than 120 F (I think)
it'll kill the yeast, so it's definitely better too cold (just slows down
the rise time) than too hot.

2-4 Tablespoons of oil is way too much for a recipe on this list, but you
can leave oil out of bread with no problem.  Oil holds the moisture in
bread, so fatfree breads go stale more quickly.  This isn't usually a
problem for me.  Refrigerating bread makes it stale more quickly, so I
freeze bread if I'm not going to eat it right away.  Either way, it
doesn't taste fresh-baked, so I usually heat it before eating, whether by
toasting or by heating it in some foil in the oven.

I'll post my newest favorite bread tomorrow....

Susan Lehman
UNC-Chapel Hill, where the undergrads have returned