Re: good gravy!

Kathy asked for gravy receipes. I have one I got from the Los Angeles Times newspaper that I somewhat modified, which is really quite tasty! It's the only gravy I make anymore.  I boil potaotes for mashed potatoes to go with the gravy and use the potato water for the gravy broth, although any other broth would also do.

MUSHROOM GRAVY

8	 oz. crimari mushrooms, sliced
4	 Tbsp. flour
2	 cups vegetable broth
2 	Tbsp. sherry
1/2	 tsp. soy sauce
	Garlic powder and pepper to taste (I like lots of each)

Saute mushrooms in a little broth or wine in a large heavy saucepan until limp. Stir in flour until dissolved and mushrooms are well coated. Gradually add broth.  Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and smooth.  Add sherry and soy sauce. Season to taste with garlic powder and pepper.  Makes 21/2 cups gravy.

>>From: Kathy Lonquist <lonquist@xxxxxxxx>
>>I have recently begun MacDougalling again, and need some ideas on vegetarian
gravies and/or sauces that don't have any dairy, eggs, meat or oil in them.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

---
Sherron, Poi Boy & Jazzy
La Palma, California (but my heart is in Hawaii)
See our rats at: http://users.deltanet.com/~dwp/ratgallery.html