Super Stuffed Eggplant

Does anyone listen to Dr. Zorba Paster on public radio?  We hear his live
call in medical program at 1 PM CDT Saturday afternoons.  Zorba always has
a heart healthy recipe for his listeners.  Most have meat in them, but last
Saturday's didn't so I tried it for Sunday dinner.  I liked the following a
lot, but my husband who likes his food seasoned hot said it was just ok.
One of my visiting adult sons, who is a SAD eater, ate his with relish.  I
think it makes a good company recipe, especially since it looks attractive
and can be prepared a few hours ahead, refrigerated, and then baken when
the company arrives.

Kathleen
schuller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                 *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                          Super Stuffed Eggplant

Recipe By     : Zorba Paster's Heart-Healthy Recipe of the Week , 4/12/97
Categories    : Main Dishes, Vegetarian          Vegetables

   1 1/2  Cups          bread crumbs
   2      each          Eggplants
   2      each          Tomatoes -- diced
     1/2  Cup           Green bell pepper -- diced
     1/2  Cup           Onion -- diced
     1/3  Cup           Celery -- diced
     1/8  Tsp.          Salt
     1/4  Tsp.          Black pepper
   2      Tbsp.         Fresh parsley -- minced
   2      Tbsp.         nonfat parmesan cheese
                        Vegetable cooking spray

Preheat oven 350 degrees.
Cut eggplants in half lengthwise. Scoop out and save the flesh, leaving the
shells 3/8-inch-thick. If necessary, trim off a small piece off the bottom
of each shell, so that each half won't tip over. Set aside.
Coat large skillet with vegetable cooking spray. Chop up reserved eggplant
and add to skillet. Add tomato, bell pepper, onion, celery, salt and black
pepper. Place skillet over medium heat, cover and cook about 5 minutes,
until vegetables are tender.
Remove skillet from heat. Stir in bread crumbs and parsley. Spoon mixture
into the hollow eggplant shells.
Arrange stuffed shells in shallow baking dish coated with vegetable spray.
Sprinkle 1 1/2 teaspoons Parmesan on top of each shell. Bake for 25
minutes, until filling heats through and top is golden brown.

Zorba's Heart-Healthy Recipe of the Week , 4/12/97 http://www.wpr.org/zorba

schuller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx