Kosher Salt

Kate, kosher salt is also called coarse salt (i.e. big grains of salt).  In
the US it's usually marketed as kosher salt, but I don't know why--I
suppose it has a use in kosher cooking, or in Jewish ritual, somehow.  I
hope our Jewish friends can enlighten us on that issue.  I had never paid
any attention to it, until I read that James Beard liked to use it in
baking bread.  It comes in great big boxes--they last forever.  I think
I've bought 2 boxes of it in thirty years.  (If I start roasting garlic, I
guess it won't last nearly so long. :-))

Ruth Hoffman       ruthhoff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Lake Zurich, IL
"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes." --Marcel Proust