Kombu & MSG

Help, Tim, I am getting so confused!  We had a discussion about MSG
recently, and though I didn't pay strict attention to detail, having already
chosen to avoid MSG, I was at least under the impression that MSG was
anything but "naturally occurring."  I thought some substance had to undergo
some bazaar manipulation to arrive at MSG....according to your post, you
quoted someone that kombu is a natural source of MSG...was that from Ornish?
Anyone able to clear this up for me?

Much appreciated!

Gretchen