More tomato based pasta sauces

In my quest for more tomato based pasta dishes, (a recent illness had me off
tomatoes recently and I am now making up for it!) I have come up with a
*very* simple but delicious one.

Saute 1 onion in water, add (fresh) garlic and 1 can peeled , crushed
tomatoes.  Add a handful of mushrooms and 1 'bunch' of fresh chopped basil
and allow to simmer while pasta is cooking (I use penne).

When penne is cooked, spoon sauce over penne.  This tastes so fresh, I love
it!

Cheers,
Kirsten