cravings

Steve,
I would guess that your "cravings" don't come from boldily requirements,
but rather from old habits.  According to Ornish (and me) it is easier to
make a quick cut than slow and steady torture.  After a week or three, many
of those cravings should vanish.

I have also decided for me, to eat less refined flour and more whole
grains.  When you think about it, white flour (pasta, pretzls, bread,
bagels) and water mixed, makes a great paste.  Just doesn't make sense to
eat too much of it.  Mind you, I still have pasta 1 - 2 times a week and
the occasional pretzl, but far less than I used to.  Now it is more brown
rice, bulgar wheat pilaf, quinioa,and muesili and oat groats for breakfast,
and such as that.

If you eat plenty of whole grains, toss in 1 - 2 cups (max) of beans per
day, and some tofu several times per week, you will get more protein than
you can use.  And for the     cravings, fresh fruit snacks.
When I want ice cream, I put a frozen banana in the blender,  add some
berries or a peach, plenty of ice and a bit of vanilla soy milk, let her
blend away,  yummy soft serve.

Hang in there.
Jan,  [native Californian, originally from south of Bakersfield (TAFT) then
briefly in Alameda and Oakland, then northern L.A. County, (Magic Mountain
country) now in my new home town and loving it!]

Jan Gordon  <jrg14@xxxxxxxxxxx>
College of Agriculture & Life Sciences
Office for Research, Ag. Experiment Station
245 Roberts Hall, Ithaca, NY 14853
(607) 255-2552 -Fax:  255-9499
WWW:  http://www.cals.cornell.edu/OfficeResearch