Egg substitute - Flaxseed

I was reading in Prevention mag. and ran across this egg substitute.
Some of you may be familiar with it, but I had never heard of it.
I was wondering if any of you have tried it.

Boiled flaxseed meal as egg substitute:

Ratio is 1 part ground flaxseed to 3 parts cold water.  This person
usually used 1/2 C flax meal and 1 1/2 C water.  Boil mixture for 3-5
min., stirring constantly.  Let cool & store in fridge in closed jar.
Substitute 1 T. mixture for each egg.

Supposedly it works great in baking recipes, mixes, patties, meat
loaves.  Not a good leavening agent for souffles or sponge cakes.

I've never paid attention, is this available at the grocery store?

Info:  Prevention, Feb. 1994

Twylla James
C014lib@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx