Ginger, Tomatoes

I am a shy lurker, and behind at reading these posts, so these are some
late answers. I have gotten so much great info that I wanted to share
with other people, late or not. Maybe these can help...

Someone asked for pickle ginger...here's the real thing. It's great.

Pickled Ginger Recipe (from a Japanese friend)
4 oz (115g) peeled, fresh ginger root
1 cup (250ml) boiling water
1/2 cup (125ml) rice vinegar
2 T (30 ml)sugar
1/2 t (2ml) salt
 Cut ginger in 1/16-inch (2mm)slices. Place ginger in small bowl; add
boiling water. Let stand 30 sec; drain well.

Place vinegar, sugar & salt in small crockery, glass or ceramic bowl;
stir until sugar is dissolved. Add ginger; stir to coat.

Cover bowl; let ginger stand at room temperature at least 1 hour.
Refrigerate, covered, until well chilled. (The color of the ginger
becomes pinkish; but usually in restaurants and in Japan, they add red
food coloring). To serve, remove slices from liquid. Makes about 3/4 cup
(180 ml). Will keep for several weeks refrigerated in pickling liquid,
tightly covered.

Also, my mom always put cubed or sliced green tomatoes into apple
desserts with the apples. Sounds weird I know, but they're really great.
Very complementary. Up to half of each in "pie" or crisps, for
example. The sour flavor and texture go well with sweet apples.

Long post, I'll put "Neatballs" and carrot juicing pulp in another one.

Kitty G