Honey baked lentils

A favorite from the More with Less Cookbook:

Combine in a dutch oven or saucepan:
1 lb (2 1/3 c.) lentils, picked over
1 small bay leaf
5 c. water
2 t. salt

Bring to a boil Cover tightly and reduce heat. Simmer 30 minutes. Do not
drain. Discard bay leaf.
Preheat oven to 350. Combine separately and add to lentils:

1 t. dry mustard
1/4 t. powdered ginger
1 T soy sauce
1/2 c. chopped onions
1 c. water

Pour over all

1/3 c honey.

Cover tightly and bake 1 hour.

The written recipe includes partly stirring in and partly sprinkling on top
4 slices of bacon cut in 1" pieces. I obviously never have, and never
missed it. It also says to take the lid off for the last 10 min to "brown
bacon." Can't remember if I take the lid off anyway. Probably. Also, the
first time I made it I didn't have powdered mustard, so I put in a little
glob of a prepared, whole grain horseradish mustard. I liked it that way,
so that's what I've done ever since. Don't know how much difference that
makes.

I hate baked beans, so I bring this to every baked bean type occassion.
Everyone winds up eating this instead and raving about it.

Dana Muller                                     Matthew Medical Books
(314) 432-1401 x389                             http://www.mattmccoy.com