Apple Recipes Part 1

Here are some apple recipes for Barb Gee.  (They were posted to this
list, although quite awhile ago, and are therefore in the archives):

Apple Bread

2 3/4 C WholeWheat Flour
2 Tsp Cinnamon
1 Tsp Baking Soda
1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
1/4 Tsp Salt
1/4 C Applesauce
1/4 C Corn Syrup
1 1/2 C Sugar
4 Egg Whites or Egg Substitutes
1/2 tsp Vanilla
3 C Apples peeled, cored, chopped

In a lg bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and
salt. In a med. bowl, combine applesauce, corn syrup, sugar, egg whites or
substitute, vanilla and apples; stir into flour mixture. Divide mixture
between two 8 x 4" bread pans that have been sprayed with nonstick spray.
Bake at 350 deg F for 40 to 45 min or until bread tests done. Cook for 10
min on wire racks before removing from pan. Servings: 2 loaves about 24
slices.

Cal 118.2, Fat 0.3 g, Carb 28 g, Protein 2.5 g, Sodium 96 mg, Dietary
Fiber 2.2 g, CFF 2.3%

Carrot Apple Soup

2-3 carrots peeled and coarsely chopped
1   apple cored, peeld and cut into quarters
1/4 onion chopped
4   cups vegetable broth (or water)
    salt and white pepper to taste
1/4 tsp grated fresh ginger (or dried)

Place all ingredients in pot, cook 15 minutes or until carrots are
tender. Puree in a blender. Check the seasoning. Serves 4.

Baked Oatmeal

3 C. oatmeal
1/2 to 1 C. brown sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 C. applesauce
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs, or Ener-g egg replacer equivalent
1 C. rice milk
1 C. raisins or blueberries or chopped apples

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix the dry ingredients in one bowl.  Mix the
wet
ingredients in another bowl.  Stir the wet and dry ingredients together and
add
the raisins or blueberries.  Spread in a 9x9 pan, lightly sprayed with
nonstick
spray.  Bake 20-30 minutes.  Serve as-is, or top with some sort of milk.

Notes: This turns out almost like a cake.  One cup of sugar made it way too
sweet for me; I'll use 1/2 cup next time. I did use egg replacer and had good

results.  I also used rice milk instead of regular cow milk.  Maybe soy milk
would work just at well.  The recipe called for 1/2 cup of nuts too, but that

would drive the fat content up, so I edited it out for the list.

Hope you enjoy these recipes!

Kim Allen
Baltimore, Maryland
KimAllen@xxxxxxx