Miso and MSG?

> Can anyone tell me if miso contains mainly of MSG? Because one day

According to _The Book of Miso_ (William Shurtleff and Akiko Aoyagi,
1976, ISBN 0-345-29107-7) miso can contain MSG but by no means has to.
It's up to the manufacturer, and apparently most "natural", aged misos
are MSG-free.  Some "quick" misos have MSG and preservatives added since
they don't derive the taste and nutritional benefits of fermenting for
long (1-3 years) periods of time.  Best advice is to check the label, or
ask the store to check with their supplier to find out what's in there.

Good luck -- miso is a real boon to FF cooks, so I hope you can use it.

 -Steve.