Split Pea Soup <T>`

Yesterday I made a pot of split pea soup and it tasted so good that I
thought you all might like it. I used a recipe from my 1957 Betty Crocker
cookbook (I collect cookbooks and this one is my mother's tried and true
cookbook for SAD cooking), but, surprisingly, did not have to adjust the
ingredients to meet the fatfree guidelines. Baked a loaf of pumpkin bread
in the bread machine (think I got the recipe from this list last week) to
accompany the soup. Yum!

Although the recipe for the split pea soup was for the stove top, I made it
in my crockpot. This recipe is a keeper--it will be great for a warm,
filling supper on a cold winter night.

Lenten Split Pea Soup <T>

2 cups dried split peas
2 quarts water
1 1/2 cups sliced carrots
1 1/2 cups diced celery
1 diced onion
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. thyme
1/4 tsp. cayenne
Several dashes of Tobasco (or any hot sauce)

Place all ingredients in the crockpot. Cook on high 4 hours or low 6 hours.
Stir well before serving so soup will have a creamy texture. Makes 8
servings.

Enjoy!

Bethann
Trying to figure out how to start the pilot light in her new gas
fireplace...it's getting cold in North Carolina!

Bethann D. Watson                       Cisco Systems, Inc.
Senior Technical Editor                 Research Triangle Park, NC
Knowledge Products-IBU                  Phone: (919) 472-2117
E-mail: bwatson@xxxxxxxxx               Fax: (919) 472-2399