Soft Cookies?

I just tried baking chocolate cookies today, substituting the butter it
called for with applesauce. Somehow, the cookies turned out like unrisen
cake instead! It was not at all crispy and turned out starchy and flat.
My mom complained that I had gone crazy...now I feel like a failure.
Could anyone tell me what went wrong? Could it be the applesauce?
Are there any remedies and what do I do with the uneaten cookies...any
innovative ideas on what to do with soggy starch?

Thanks,
Kylie