Re: FATFREE Digest V96 #234

>Does anybody have a good vegan cornbread recipe? I used a boxed mix the
>other night and replaced the milk with rice milk and the egg with
>cornstarch, and it didn't come out exactly right. It was pale white in
>color (that wasn't too much of a problem) and somewhat crumbly, which I
>suspect is because I didn't use the eggs. But there was a real problem
>when I ate the bread then drank lemondade. . .I could totally taste the
>cornstarch.
>
>Any suggestions?
>
>Amy

Let's see if I can do this from memory, hmm.  I don't like sweet corn
bread, mine is spicy-

1 1/2 cups yellow corn meal
1/2 cup whole wheat (or white if you must) flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 can creamstyle corn
1 egg equilivent of EnerG egg replacer (or 1 extra teaspoon baking powder)
enough soy or rice milk tomake a pudding-like consistency (about 1/2 cup)
1 can ortega green chilies
1/4 cup finely diced onion
1/4 cup finely diced red bell pepper
jalapeno chili to taste ( I used the pickled slices in a jar, at least a
tablespoon coarsely chopped)
Pour into a non stick, lightly sprayed 9" square pan or muffin tins
bake at 375 degrees F for about 20 minutes for muffins - 30- 35 minutes for
a square.  (scientific test:  stick a toothpick in to test for mushiness)

Note:  if you are really a strict vegan, you may have a problem with the
creamstyle corn, all the varieties in my stores contain sugar.

Jan Gordon <jrg14@xxxxxxxxxxx>
 There is only one success--
         To be able to spend your life
                  In your own way.