spices

On the subject of enhancing the flavour of spices, I find that toasting
them in a cast iron pan works very well.  FWIW, I've seen many tv cooks
do the same.  Heat the pan, then add the spices -- as soon as you can
smell the aroma from the spices, remove them from the heat.  Burned spices
are a *bad* thing.

ALternately, you can roast spices in the oven.  This is probably better if
you have a large amount of items, as you might if you make garam marsala.

-troy