Date: Fri, 6 Mar 1998 18:12:35 -0500 (EST)
From: "Elizabeth J. Rowe" (email@example.com)
Shiitake consomme with Transparent Noodles
11 c. water
1 c. Chinese rice wine, sherry, or sake
2 c. dried shiitake mushrooms
1 large onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 in. fresh ginger, sliced thin
6 garlic cloves, cut in half
3 1.5 to 1.8 oz packages bean-thread noodles
3 Tbs. soy sauce
1 Tbs. rice vinegar
4 scallions, cut into 2 in. lengths, then into julienne strips
1 red bell pepper, cut into 2-inch julienne strips
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and cut into thin rounds
1. Peel two fo the carrots. Cut them into 2-inch lengths, then into very
thin julienne strips. Set them aside. Cut theremaining carrots into
large pieces. Put these pieces into a stockpot with the wtaer, wine,
dried mushrooms, ioion, celery, ginger, and garlic, and set the heat on
high. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat, and let the consomme
simmer gently for 1 hour.
2. While the consomme simmers, soak the noodles in warm water for 30
3. Strain the consomme into a clean stockpot. (You can save the
mushrooms in the sieve for another used, such as Shiitake Spring
Rolls). Heat the consomme to a simmer. Strain the cellophane
noodles, and add the noodles and the julienned carrots to the soup.
Let the soup simmer for 2 to 3 miutes or until the noodles are tneder.
Add the soy sauce and rice vinegar. (At this point the soup can stand
for up to 30 minutes, although the nooldes will overcook some).
4. Just before serving, adde the julienned scallions and red peppers, and
if you like, the jalapeno.
- tofu can be added along with the noodles for a more substantial soup.