Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 00:50:53 -0400 (EDT)
Osh (Afghanistan Beans & Noodle soup) slightly modified from Bean Banquets
1 cup mixed dried beans (1/3 cup great northerns, 1/3 cup red kidneys, 1/3
1 clove garlic, mashed
1 large onion, chopped
1/4 cup veggie broth
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1/2 cup tomato puree
1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp dried mint or 1-1/2 tsp fresh chopped mint
1/2 tsp dried dill weed or 1-1/2 tsp fresh chopped dill
salt to taste
1/4 lb flat noodles
1/2 cup plain yogurt or nondairy plain yogurt
1/4 cup water
1. Soak beans overnight and pour off soaking water. Cook in water to cover
with 1 2 inch piece of kombu.
2. Saute onion in veggie broth until soft. Add crushed red pepper. when
pepper turns dark red, add tomato puree, water, mint, dill, and salt. Simmer
while noodles cook.
3. Cook noodles in lightly salted boiling water uuntil al dente. Drain.
4. Thin yogurt with the 1/4 cup of water.
5. Combine beans and bean broth with tomato sauce, noodles, and yogurt.
Adjust seasonings. when soup is hot, serve