Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 07:44:02 EST
From: Annullas (Annullas@aol.com)
Matzoh ball soup from Mollie Katzen's "Still Life With Menu." Serve
them together; Mollie claims they make 8 servings, but she doesn't
know my family :-)
2 eggs worth of egg substitute
1/2 cup matzo meal
1 teaspoon salt
a few sprigs parsley
extra matzo meal
1. Beat eggs lightly.
2. Add 1/2 cup matzoh meal and salt. Use scissors to snip the parsley in very
small, feathery bits.
3. Mix well, cover, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes (or as long as
4. About 1 hour before serving, heat a large kettle of lightly salted water to
a rolling boil. At the same time, gently reheat the soup.
5. Dust your hands and lightly coat a dinner plate with matzoh meal. Form
1-inch bals and put them on the dusted plate.
6. Gently drop the matzoh balls into the boiling water, one by one. Partially
cover, and keep the water boiling. Cook for 40 minutes.
7. Remove matzoh balls with a slotted spoon and transfer to serving bowls.
Ladle hot soup on top and serve.
NOTE: Makes 10 or 12 matzoh balls. This recipe is easily multiplied. Serve
with Not-Chicken Soup.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
8 cups water
2 teaspoons salt
1 8" parsnip -- cut in chunks
2 large carrots -- cut in chunks
8 cloves garlic -- halved
2 stalks celery -- chopped
1/4 cup mushrooms
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1. Combine everything in a large kettle.
2. Bring to a boil, lower to a simmer, and partially cover.
3. Cook slowly for about 1 1/4 hours. Turn off heat and let it cool to room
4. Strain out and discard all the vegetables.
5. Heat the broth gently just before serving.
NOTE : The garlic is essential; the parsnip is optional. Serve with matzoh