Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 09:44:12 -0700
For quicker cooking time, use canned beans and their broth. If you soak some
beans, cook them in a pressure cooker for faster cooking time.
Cuban Black Bean Soup
1 pound black beans soaked overnight or all day
1 large onion, chopped
1 large garlic clove, mashed (I use 3-4)
2 cups chopped celery with some leaves
1 green pepper, chopped
2-3 chiles, seeded and minced
6 whole cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin (I use about 1-1/2 teaspoons)
3 vegetable bouillon cubes or 3 teaspoons of your favorite veggie powder
2 tablespoons lemon juice (fresh is best)
lemon slices (optional)
1. Cook beans until very soft. (see above recipe)
2. Lightly spray a skillet with olive oil cooking spray and saute onion,
garlic, celery, chiles, green pepper, and cloves until the onion is lightly
3. Add some of the bean broth and dissolve the bouillon cubes or powder.
4. Add lemon juice. Simmer until vegetables are soft.
5. Mash some of the beans with a potato masher and combine vegetable mix with
6. Bring the soup to a bol, lower heat, and simmer for 10-15 minutes to blend
flavors. Add water if the soup is too thick. Add salt if necessary.
Serve garnished with a lemon slice.
I actually don't bother with the lemon slice.