Date: Wed, 19 Oct 94 20:55:45 EDT
From: firstname.lastname@example.org (Ronald D. Fishman)
The following recipe is from "The Lowfat Jewish Vegetarian Cookbook"
by Debra Wasserman, with a slight modification to make it non-fat.
3 lbs. potatoes, peeled & chopped.
3 cups water
2 onions, peeled and finely chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 tsp tumeric
3 cups unbleached white flour
2 tsp baking powder
Vegie stock to saute onions in
- Cook potatoes in boiling water in a covered pot for 20 minutes. Drain.
- Saute onions and a dash of pepper in a nonstick frying pan unitil
onions are soft.
- Mash cooked potatoes and divide mixture in half.
- Stir half the potatoes and onions.
- Mix remaining potatoes with tumeric, salt, flour and baking powder
to create a dough.
- Knead dough fo a few minutes.
- Roll dough out on a flured surface until 1/4" thick.
- Cut dough into 4"x4" squares (about 12)
- Place 1/12 of potato onion mixture on each square.
- Fold corners of dough in and pinch dough tight in center.
- Preheat oven to 375 . Place knishes (pinched side down) on non stick
- Bake at 375 for 45 minutes.
- Serve warm with mustard or sauerkraut.
Makes 6 servings - 2 each
Fat: 1 gram Protein: 10 grams Carbohydrates: 92 grams
Dietary Fiber: 6.3 Grams