Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 06:35:07 -0700
From: Jayne Spielman (email@example.com)
Penne with Vodka sauce
Slightly modified from Patricia Wells' Cookbook "Tratoria"
About 5-7 servings
4 garlic cloves, minced (or pressed directly into pan)
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
salt to taste
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes (I like Muir Glen crushed
tomatoes. Organic, slightly chunky and no seeds)
1 lb pasta (like penne or rigatoni)
2 Tbsp vodka (or use pepper vodka for more kick)
8 oz canned evaporated milk (NOT sweetened condensed)
You can find regular, lowfat or skim evap milk
1/4 cup flat leaf parsley chopped. This is an important ingredient
1. Start boiling water for pasta. Add a teaspoon of salt if you
2. In big skillet (cooked pasta will be added at end), saute minced
garlic, red pepper, a little salt in liquid of your choic
e. Cook over low heat until things sizzle a little but don't let
garlic burn. Add tomatoes. Stir.
3. Start cooking pasta in boiling water.
4. Let sauce cook about 15 minutes or till thickens a little.
5. Drain pasta and add to sauce. Toss. Add vodka. Toss. Add milk
and reduce heat. Cover pot if you can and let cook a few minutes
to let sauce get absorbed. Add parsley. Toss. Serve.
About 6-8 servings.