Date: Wed, 25 May 94 13:14:09 EDT
From: mmk3@Lehigh.EDU (MARGARET M. KING)
I call these lazy enchiladas because the sauce and filling are cooked in the
same pot and there is no baking time. With tomato on the inside, it has a nice
creamy texture that I missed when giving up cheese.The spices are approximate
because I don't measure, but taste til it's right:)
1 med onion chopped
1/2 med red/green pepper chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
9-10 med mushrooms sliced thinly
1 15oz. can stewed tomatoes, with juice
1/2c. frozen corn kernels
1 15-oz can black beans rinsed
1/2 tsp. cinammon
1/2-1 tsp. oregano
1 TBsp. chili powder(maybe more)
1-2tsp. cumin(maybe more start with one)
pinch or more of cayenne
4 flour tortillas(not the huge size, more if you don't stuff'em)
1. Water saute onion,pepper garlic, until onion translucent.
2. Add spices and let them coat the onion mixture.
3. Add mushrooms and let cook briefly for 1-2 minutes.
4. Add can of stewed tomatoes and bring to simmer.
5. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Add corn and simmer for 10 more minutes.
7. Add beans and simmer for 5 minutes.
8. Warm tortillas so they are pliable, and with a slotted spoon scoop
mixture in tortilla, roll, and place on dinner plate. With tablespoon,
take liquid and pour over tortillas. Repeat until done.
Serves 2 -3 people, depending on side dishes and hunger:)
NOTE: Simmering times are approximate, but you essentially want to let it
cook so the flavors have combined, but not to reduce to a true stew. It
should look a soupy stew, so that you have liquid to put on tortillas.