Date: Mon, 31 Jul 1995 23:43:27 -0700
The request for a SAMP recipe got me thinking about my childhood. Samp was
a regular repast in our house and was pretty good, though all my instincts
told me otherwise (it had a suspiciously 'healthy' look [and taste] about
it)! Anyway, I took the long drive back home over the weekend and got the
following recipe from my mother. I can't wait to try it...
Mom Gloria's Samp
6-8 Cups Water
2 Cups Samp
1 Cup Sugar Beans
Your favourite veggies [chopped], we used:
1 Cup Green Beans
2 Small Potatoes
1 Cup Shredded Cabbage
Salt and Pepper (to taste)
(1) Soak the samp and sugar beans SEPARATELY overnight.
(2) Rinse samp, drain and boil for 30 minutes.
(3) Add washed beans and salt to taste (try 2 tsp.).
(4) Boil 'til soft but firm (about 60 - 90 minutes).
(5) Add vegetables and lower heat to simmer for 30-45 minutes 'till
vegetables are done.
(6) Add pepper to taste (you may have to adjust the salt).