Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 07:56:43 -0700
From: Jesse Clarke (firstname.lastname@example.org)
1. Excellent Afghani Eggplant recipe from The World in Your Kitchen
vegetarian cookbook by New Internationalist magazine-this recipe which
I've served to numerous guests has converted non-eggplant fans. It's
rich & delicious but not all that attractive looking, so I'd recommend a
nice garnish or something. Good with rice, pita couscous.
1 large or two small eggplant-chopped into 1/2 cubes
1 large onion
2 tsp. cumin seeds
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. chili powder (optional)
1 Tbsp. garam masala (optional)
1/2 cup f-free yogurt
1. "Saute" in a bit of water onions, cinnamon, cumin seeds, in a
non-stick skillet, until everything is mixed, and onions are getting
2. Add eggplant & mix thoroughly so that eggplant chunks are coated with
3. Cover and cook for 20 minutes on med-low temperature, stirring
occasionally. As the eggplant cooks, it releases lots of water, so don't
worry about sticking.
4. When eggplant has cooked VERY thoroughly, add 1/2 cup of nonfat plain
yogurt, and stir gently.
5. Simmer on very low for 5 min.
6. Garnish with garam masala
Easy, quick & tastes like food for kings. (I think)